Home | Introduction | Links |  Message Boards | Tribal Circles | Photographers | Questions? | Search
Tribes of the Great Plains: Arapaho | Arikara | Cheyenne | Crow | Dakota | Lakota | Nakota | Osage | Ponca
Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs:
Wasco | Tenino | Paiute
Plateau Tribes: Klamath | Modoc | Nez Perce | Salish | Walla Walla | Yakima


1877 Dakota Delegation photo taken
in Washington on October 30, 1877


Big Road

? - 1897


Son: Chase Alone


According to family descendants Big Road died in 1897. I've no independent check on this date, but we have a statement by Judge Ricker that when he started interviewing people at Pine Ridge - say 1907 - Big Road was already dead. Also in the map of allotments made at Pine Ridge ca. 1905-15 Big Road doesn't appear - though his son Chase Alone does.

I think Big Road was one of the four Deciders (wakicunze) seated by the Northern Oglala council in April 1877. He served as a sergeant in the Oglala scouts recruited at Red Cloud Agency after surrender. After Lt. Clark re-organised the scouts in July he was a sergeant in Co. C. The other Co. C sergeants were Little Hawk, Iron Crow (also known as Jumping Shield), Little Big Man, plus First Sergeant Crazy Horse. The corporals were all akicita leaders in the Northern Oglala village. When Big Road reluctantly joined the flight to Canada in January 1878, he turned over his scout uniform and firearms to Clark's successor Lt. Dodd. Kingsley Bray

He is in the 1877 Dakota Delegation photo taken in Washington on October 30, 1877. Mike Nunnally

Big Road was a northern Oglala band chief. James R. Walker called the band "Oyurpa" which means "pulled down." This man, Ithink, played an important part in the Oglala history. He was a so-called "hostile." We find him fighting against the US Army in the Fetterman battle and also in the Custer battle. He surrended in May 1877 with Crazy Horse. After this chief's death and after, as you wrote, he was in Washington, he and his group (many of the Crazy Horse followers) fled to Canada and came back to South Dakota in 1880 or 1881. When the ghost dance broke out, he became once more a "hostile" leader.

I think he was not at the Wounded Knee massacre. In January 1891(?) he surrendered to Gen. Miles. Also in 1891 he, along with Hump, Young Man Afraid, and others, went to Washington. Karl

Though Big Road went to Canada with other 'northern' Oglalas after Crazy Horse's death, he is named as one of those leaders who were disenchanted with Crazy Horse at the agency. Grahame Wood

[Left to right:] Photo by Trager around 1890; in Carlisle, 1880s (with Oglala chiefs Grass and Little Wound) by John N. Choate, who made the pictures at Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania; from the group photo 1891 in Washington.

Another photo of Big Road I never saw before. It seems to be of his 1891 journey to Washington.
Dietmar Schulte-Möhring


©2008-2024 Diane Merkel & Dietmar Schulte-Möhring
All contributors retain the rights to their work.
Reproduction in whole or in part without prior written consent is prohibited.